Date: Wednesday 14 April 2021 (10-13h CET)
PREVAIL (PREVention Action Increases Large fire response preparedness) aims at demonstrating that the close link
between fuel management, preparedness and response to fire is more than a mantra. PREVAIL key concept is that fire
prevention can make large fire suppression more effective and less costly.
The Technical Workshop will show a selection of the so-called fuel management smart solutions for wildfire
prevention, sharing lessons learnt and discussing with the audience gaps and opportunities to enhance fuel
management integration into risk reduction strategies aimed at reducing wildfires impact on people, forest and
landscapes, an increasing fire suppression and civil protection capabilities.
The Workshop is mainly addressed to forest and risk managers, land planners, municipalities and local authorities,
Civil Protection bodies and private sectors developing economic activities in wooded landscapes.
PREVAIL project is funded by the European Union Civil Protection Mechanism (2019-2021) and involves members from
Italy, Portugal, Spain and Greece. More information in https://www.prevailforestfires.eu/
10:00 – 10:10h: Opening and greetings. Anna Barbati. PREVAIL project coordination. University of Tuscia
10:10 – 10:30h: Introduction to the Fuel Management Smart Solution concept; How can we protect better our landscapes and mitigate wildfire risk in a cost-efficient and circular way? Eduard Plana, Marta Serra. Forest Policy and Risk Governance, Forest Science and Technology Centre of Catalonia
10:30 – 11:00h: Session I. Active prevention: Integrating fuel management into strategic wildfire suppression planning.
- Wildfire behaviour pattern planning: Facilitating suppression capacity through strategic fuel management and mosaic landscape promotion. Representative of UT GRAF + Forest Service, Catalonia
- Firefighting training centre of the Toscana Region. Luca Tonarelli, DREAM
11:00 – 11:15h: Break
11:15 – 11:45h: Session II. Passive prevention: Synergic practices of forest management and wood mobilisation (biomass, wood, resins) and wildfire risk mitigation
- Boscos del Vallès (Vallès Forests): Local biomass use for district heating and wildfire prevention. Carles Rodríguez Herencia. Counsellor of Territory and Ecological Transition, Vallès Occidental County
- Raízes (Roots): Resin production and wildfire prevention. António Salgueiro. Agency for Integrated Rural Fire Management (AGIF)
11:45 – 12:15h: Session III. Passive prevention: Synergic practices of mosaic landscapes and wildfire risk mitigation
- Ramats de Foc (Fire floks); connecting shepherds with restaurants for wildfire prevention. Guillem Canaleta. Pau Costa Foundation
- Life Granatha: GRowing AviaN in Apennine's Tuscany HeathlAnds. Serena Corezzola. DREAM
12:15 – 12:45h: The experts view and open discussion
- Mr. Georgios Maheras. (MSc) Forester, Forest Directorate of Eastern Attiki
- Paulo Fernandes. UTAD and FORESTWISE Lab
12:50 – 13:00h. Conclusions and closing. Dr. Evangelia Tsartsou. Policy Officer PREVAIL project. DG for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations